- At large enterprises—where distributed/mobile/cloud apps must access mainframe programs and data—continuous delivery is badly impaired by poor automation of and visibility into deployment of mainframe code.
- Integration of Compuware’s ISPW mainframe DevOps solution with XebiaLabs continuous delivery technology for cross-platform release orchestration helps enterprises overcome this common hindrance to digital agility.
- The integration also empowers enterprises to upgrade complex multi-tier applications within relentlessly shrinking maintenance windows, reduce errors, and simplify software change auditing across platforms.
- As a result, large enterprises can better compete in today’s dynamic digital markets—while also enabling a new generation of less mainframe-experienced staff to manage IBM z/OS environments with excellence.
June 28, 2016 - Compuware and XebiaLabs today announced integration of ISPW, Compuware’s DevOps solution for the mainframe, with XebiaLabs’ industry-leading continuous delivery technology for cross-platform application release orchestration.
This integration empowers large enterprises to include their core mainframe applications, data, and computing infrastructure into their broader cross-platform strategy for digital agility.
Enterprises using XebiaLabs solution suite and Compuware ISPW, can now automate and monitor all phases of mainframe DevOps within the same continuous delivery management environment they use for their distributed, web, and cloud platforms. This automation and monitoring includes test/QA, pre-copy staging, and code promotion.
Complex multi-tier enterprise applications often include back-end mainframe applications and data. Upgrades and enhancements of these applications therefore require modifications of application code, data interfaces, and other components across multiple platform simultaneously.
Historically, IT organizations have used homegrown scripts to automate certain aspects of mainframe code deployment. But this approach no longer fulfills evolving demands for digital agility and increased release frequency—since such scripts don’t integrate with software components on other platforms and often only address certain phases of software delivery. Scripts are also nearly impossible to audit and are typically dependent on the personal knowledge of the individual technicians who happened to write them. Furthermore, scripts do not provide the end-to-end process visibility essential for continuous delivery success.
By leveraging Compuware ISPW in conjunction with XebiaLabs’ solutions, enterprises can overcome these limitations and gain multiple high-value advantages, including:
- Faster, more reliable upgrades of applications that span multiple platforms—including the mainframe
- Clear and complete visibility into upgrade rollout timelines—enabling DevOps managersto discover and remediate bottlenecks in the end-to-end continuous delivery process
- Simplified one-click rollback and re-start for all application components
- Reduced dependence on idiosyncratic mainframe expertise
According to Forrester Research, “Mainframe application delivery does not need to be inherently slow and complex. Application Development & Delivery leaders have found that automating the mainframe application delivery pipeline reduces risk, cost, and complexity while improving responsiveness to changing customer needs.”
The integration supports both companies’ shared vision of seamless, automated cross-platform DevOps where COBOL applications, DB2 databases, z/OS processing power, and other mainframe assets are all elements in a single, shared pool of enterprise digital resources that IT can adaptively apply wherever and whenever they are required by the business—without operational or staffing impediments.
“The mainframe is the enterprise’s single most valuable resource when it comes to business logic, business data, performance at scale, and operational reliability,” said Compuware CEO Chris O’Malley. “By partnering with XebiaLabs, Compuware is helping enterprise IT harmonize mainframe releases with continuous delivery efforts across its broader portfolio of distributed, web, cloud, and mobile assets.”
“Compuware plays an important role in the mainframe niche of the global DevOps ecosystem,” said XebiaLabs CEO Derek Langone. “By integrating Compuware ISPW and XebiaLabs XL Release, we are further extending the ability of our customers to maximize the impact their software applications have on their core business functions.”
”Digital Transformation Needs Mainframe DevOps,” by Kurt Bittner and Rob Stroud, Forrester Research, Inc., June 20, 2016.
XebiaLabs develops enterprise-scale Continuous Delivery and DevOps software, providing companies with the visibility, automation and control they need to deliver software faster and with less risk. Global market leaders rely on XebiaLabs to meet the increasing demand for accelerated and more reliable software releases.
Director of Marketing Communications